Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Perfect Running Conditions


Here's a couple pics from back when it was stormy. The run today, however, was pristine. Overall, this was the best snow I've ran in during this storm, and the best snow running I've ever done that didn't involve snowshoes. This snow - layers of smooth and dry sandwiched with thin and crunchy, provided cushion while only giving way three to five inches. The roads were solid, sprinkled with fine gravel for exellent traction, and the trails were coated in mattress-thick snow.
.
Clear, blue skies: I kept the camera at home, just wanting to enjoy a nice long run. I was able to get in some nice solid tempo work, plus had some great cardio in the deep stuff, even breaking trail once. If the snow was any thicker and softer, snowshoes would be required, but I got away with my trail shoes and gators.
.
One tip - use sunglasses or goggles. It really wasn't that bright, but continual exposure to snow - especially if you're out for a couple hours or more, will burn your eyes. Use a light lens, coated yellow, rose, or amber, to give yourself maximum protection without darkening your vision.
.
Another tip - don't get hit by a car. Take advantage of all the street cleaning and texturizing, but don't crowd cars, especially if you're running for pleasure while they're trying to get to work or to the store. Some of the drivers are fine, but some are panicky, and you don't want them slamming on the brakes or swerving when they approach. I gladly jump into the deep pile of swept snow for several steps of Rocky Balboa knee-deep running while the cars pass. It keeps me out of the danger zone, lets the cars move by quickly, and provides a nice short cardio set.
.
I wasn't wearing a heart rate monitor, but I'm sure I maxed out on one section of deep trail hill running. The different depths and consistencies of this snowfall makes for many great training combinations, so take advantage.

No comments: